RFolks allows you to create a password-protected user account and to provide content about yourself and other people when logged into this account.
We require a valid email address for your account to be active and any correspondance we need or wish to address to you is done on this address. This email, whch we advise you not to include in any content that you provide, is not shown on the web site in any circumstance under our control.
Your password is not visible to us and we advise you to take care in choosing your password and hiding it from other people. If you should loose you password the "lost pasword" link will generate a new random password that will be sent to the email that you have previously indicated.
You can delete all information that we store about you at any time by closing your account. Your can also request that your identity is entered into our 'black list' so that another user cannot add you to a tree in the future.
You may provide 3 sets of user-provided content that are treated differently in terms of privacy :
- Tree content : the name of a person and their relationship with 1 or more people in your tree
- Family content: dates, photographs, stories or news, and locations concerning a person in your tree
- Contact information: email, postal address, telephone numbers of a person in your tree
All types of user-provided content are associated with a person that has been added to your tree. In the following paragraphs, we name 'distance' the number of people you have to cross in the tree to get from yourself to another person. The following rules define if information of a particular type is visible :
- Tree content : you can set the maximum distance for each person that enables display of tree content and therefore inclusion of a person in a tree. Please note that other factors, described in the user manual, are also taken into account to decide if a particular person is displayed in a particular tree, so in some case a person will not be displayed even if they are nearer that the maximum distance you have set.
- Family content : you can set the maximum distance for each person in your tree that enables display of family content for that person. Please note that you cannot set a distance that is shorter that the distance between yourself and the person because otherwise you will not be able to see content that you added beforehand.
- Contact information is never displayed but can only be used through the use of certain services, for example the 'send email' service, that are or may be provided on the website. You can set the maximum distance that will make this information available to the appropriate services.
Invite other people to join the tree
You are able to invite other individuals to become users of the website and have access to content that you have created. These users can in turn invite other user who may then also gain access to you content and invite other users that in turn may have access to content you have provided in complaince wth the rules described above.
Rights of non-users
User-provided content may contain information concerning people who are not users and do not wish to be so. Computer privacy legalisation in many countries ensures that every indivudial has a right to access, modify, rectify and suppress information about himself stored in a computer database.
To comply with this principle, we provide the following process :
- If you are not a user of the website, you have the right to request that any information concerning you is deleted. We identify individuals as unique when there is correspodnance between their name at birth, date of birth and place of birth. To make such a request, click here.